Hotmail which is now officially known as Outlook, was the earliest web-based email service that was introduced back in 1996 by two computer geeks, “Sabeer Bhatia” and “Jack Smith.”
After it was launched, Hotmail gained massive popularity, and within a year it had a whopping 8.5 million subscribers all around the world.
To get around this Hotmail login guide, use the table of contents down below. Before proceeding, please select the type of device on which you wish to access your Hotmail account.
How can I log into my Hotmail account?
Logging into your Hotmail account is rather a simple process. You can use numerous devices, like personal computers, laptops, smartphones, tablets, MacBooks, etc., that have an Internet connection.
From Web Browser:
If you want to log into your Hotmail account via web browser, follow these steps:
- Open your favourite web browser.
- Type “www.hotmail.com” in the URL tab and press enter.
- In the upper-right corner, click on Sign in.
- Enter your Email in the “Email, Phone or Skype” field and click on the Next button.
- Enter your password and then click on Sign in.
Similarly, you can use Android or iPhone to log into your Hotmail account.
To log into your Hotmail account via the Android app or any Android-powered mobile device, follow these steps:
- Open Google Play Store (https://play.google.com/) and download the “Hotmail” app.
- Open the app, tap on Get Started, and then tap on “Add Account”.
- Enter your Email address, then tap continue.
- Enter your password and then tap on Sign in.
Similarly to Android, the iPhone also has an app of Hotmail, follow the steps to log in to your account:
- Open Apple App Store (https://www.apple.com/app-store/), search for the “Hotmail” app, and download it.
- Open the app on your iPhone and then tap on Get Started.
- Enter your Email address and tap on “Add Account”.
- Enter your password and then tap on Sign in.
NOTE: If you are using a public computer to sign into your Hotmail account, always make sure to log out once you have finished your work. Because public computers are used by thousands of people, if you forget to log out, someone might misuse your email account.
In today’s world, where email is often the official means of communication for many companies, it’s very important to be careful when using public computers.
This is due to the increased possibility of sensitive information becoming accessible to others if not handled carefully.
Is Hotmail account same as Outlook?
Yes, the Hotmail account is the same as the Microsoft Outlook account. Hotmail was rebranded as Outlook by Microsoft. Launched in the United States back in 2013.
Why is Hotmail not working?
There are several reasons why your Hotmail account is not working, such as:
- No Internet connection at all or poor Internet connection.
- Check if any maintenance service is ongoing.
- You might not be entering the right Login credentials for your email account.
- Try clearing your web browser’s cache and cookies.
- Check if your Capslock is turned on while typing the password.
Can you still access Hotmail Email?
Yes, you can still access your Hotmail email by visiting “https://login.live.com/login.srf” and entering your credentials. However, if you have deleted your account, you might not be able to access your account.
Should students use Hotmail or Outlook?
For new students, Outlook Email is often the better choice due to its modern interface and integration with academic tools like Word and Excel.
However, if they are old students or new students who are using campus-provided email accounts but are comfortable with Hotmail and it meets their needs, sticking with it is also a good option.
Is it better to use Hotmail or Outlook?
Hotmail and Outlook are the same email services. You can still create an @hotmail.com account.
How do I transfer my Hotmail account to Outlook?
You can transfer your Hotmail account to Outlook by following these steps:
- Open your browser, visit www.outlook.com, and click on Sign in.
- Enter your Hotmail credentials and click the Sign in button.
- Once you are logged in, you’ll see a prompt asking “Do you want to experience the new Outlook.com?” click on “Upgrade”.
- Next, select your existing Hotmail account rather than creating a new email account.
- You’ll be asked to provide some additional info such as your DOB (Date of Birth) or your name.
- Enter the correct info to upgrade your account.
- Once done, you’ll be able to access your Hotmail account via Outlook.com.
Can I change my Outlook email address without creating a new email account?
You can change your alias or the name on your Outlook email account. However, if you want to change your email address, then you might have to create a new email account.
What is Hotmail?
Hotmail was the first ever web-based free email service that was introduced to the Internet back in 1996. It was acquired by Microsoft back in 1997 and it went through several name changes i.e. MSN Hotmail, Windows Live Hotmail, and Outlook.
Hotmail’s main competitors have always been Yahoo Mail and Gmail, and they remain strong rivals in the email service market. These companies constantly compete to provide the best email experience to users.
They each offer unique features: Yahoo Mail is appreciated for its easy-to-use interface and generous storage capacity. Gmail stands out due to its excellent integration with other Google services and its effective email organization features.
This ongoing competition ensures that all three services continually evolve and improve, offering diverse options to suit different user needs.
How to block emails on Hotmail?
To block emails on Hotmail, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Hotmail account via web browser on “www.hotmail.com“.
- Go to your Inbox.
- Select the email you want to block.
- Click on the three dots (“…”) in the right corner of the email.
- Select “Block” from the drop-down menu.
- A popup message will appear asking if you want to block the sender of this email.
- Click on Block to confirm blocking the email.
How to recover Hotmail account?
To recover your Hotmail account, if it is not deleted, follow these steps:
- Visit the Hotmail sign-in page and click on “Can’t access your account”.
- Select the “I forgot my password” option, enter your email address in the email field, and click on the Next button.
- Follow the instructions shown on the screen to verify your identity, it may include answering the security question or receiving a security code on your Email or Cell Phone via your secondary email or phone number.
- Once verification is done, you’ll be asked to enter a new password, enter it and then confirm. Click on the Next button afterward to reset your password successfully.
How do I create a Hotmail account?
To create a Hotmail account, visit www.hotmail.com and click on “Create a free account” Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the relevant information like email address, password, first and last name, country region, secondary email, or phone number. Once finished click on create account.
How to add Signature in Hotmail?
Here’s how you can easily add a signature to your personal account on Hotmail:
- Log in to your Hotmail account using the web browser and click on the gear icon on the upper-right corner of the page.
- Select “View all Outlook Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Compose & Reply” from the options list on the left side.
- Now, scroll to the “Email Signature” section and click on the toggle switch to enable it.
- Type your signature in the text box provided. You can select different types of formatting according to your choice.
- Once you finish creating your signature, click on the Save button.
Sort email messages in Outlook.com
Organize your email messages in a way that best suits your needs. You can sort them by various criteria like the sender’s or recipient’s name, the date the email was sent, the size of the email, and other available options to streamline your email management.
- Select Filter at the top of your inbox.
- Under Sort by, choose any option you prefer to sort your email.
What is the Microsoft Exchange?
Exchange Server, designed for enterprises, is primarily focused on managing email communication, including sending, receiving, and storing emails. Beyond handling emails, it offers additional collaboration tools such as a calendar app system and seamless integration with Microsoft Office web apps, enhancing workplace productivity and coordination.
For accessing Hotmail (now Outlook.com) emails, many mobile email apps offer compatibility and features to enhance your email experience. Here are top 20 apps that support Hotmail/Outlook.com:
- Microsoft Outlook: Specifically designed for Outlook (including Hotmail), offering integrated calendar and file management.
- Gmail: Google’s email app, which can also manage Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts through its IMAP support.
- BlueMail: A versatile email app that supports Hotmail/Outlook.com, along with other email services.
- Edison Mail: Known for its intelligent mail sorting and supports Hotmail/Outlook.com.
- Spark: Offers smart inbox and other productivity features, compatible with Hotmail/Outlook.com.
- Airmail: A powerful email client with extensive customization options, supporting Hotmail/Outlook.com.
- Mailbird (for Windows): Integrates multiple email accounts including Hotmail/Outlook.com, with customization options.
- TypeApp Mail: Supports Hotmail/Outlook.com and offers a unified inbox for multiple accounts.
- ProtonMail: Known for its security features, it also supports Hotmail/Outlook.com through IMAP/SMTP.
Other Apps that Support Hotmail
- myMail: Manages all Hotmail/Outlook.com emails along with other accounts.
- Newton Mail: Features like read receipts, send later, and more, supporting Hotmail/Outlook.com.
- Nine Mail: Especially great for business users, it supports Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts.
- Aqua Mail: Offers flexibility and powerful customization for Hotmail/Outlook.com users.
- K-9 Mail: An open-source email client for Android, supporting Hotmail/Outlook.com through IMAP.
- VMware Boxer: Combines email, calendar, and contacts, and is compatible with Hotmail/Outlook.com.
- Yandex.Mail: Can be configured to manage Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts, along with its own email service.
- Zoho Mail: Part of Zoho’s suite, it supports Hotmail/Outlook.com through IMAP.
- Mailbox: Allows Hotmail/Outlook.com account management and offers features like email snoozing.
- Canary Mail: Known for privacy and security, it supports Hotmail/Outlook.com. It supports unified inboxes for access to your important messages
- Tutanota: While focusing on encrypted email, it can also support Hotmail/Outlook.com through third-party app configurations.
- These apps not only provide access to Hotmail/Outlook.com emails but also offer various features like unified inboxes, enhanced security, and organizational tools to improve productivity and email management.