Calaveras County, California, is known for its scenic landscapes and historic Gold Rush towns. Here is a list of cities, towns, and villages in Calaveras County
- Angels Camp
- Sonora (partly in Tuolumne County)
- Mokelumne Hill
- Mountain Ranch
- San Andreas (County Seat)
- Valley Springs
- West Point
Villages in Calaveras County
- Campo Seco
- Douglas Flat
- Hathaway Pines
- Jenny Lind
- Rail Road Flat
- Sheep Ranch
Quick Facts about Calaveras County, California
- County Seat: San Andreas
- Largest City: Angels Camp
- Date Founded: February 18, 1850
- Total Land Mass: Approximately 1,037 square miles
- Population: Approximately 46,000 (as of 2022)
- Notable People: Calaveras County has been home to various individuals, and notable residents include author Mark Twain (who wrote “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” based on a local event) and astronaut Leroy Chiao.
- Notable Places: Calaveras Big Trees State Park, Moaning Cavern, Ironstone Vineyards, Columbia State Historic Park
- Economy: Historically rooted in mining and timber, the economy now includes tourism, agriculture, and winemaking.
- History: The county’s history is closely tied to the California Gold Rush, with towns like Angels Camp gaining prominence during that era. It was named after the Calaveras River.
- National Protected Area: None specified.
- Official Website: https://www.co.calaveras.ca.us/
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Calaveras County
What is the significance of Calaveras Big Trees State Park?
The Discovery Tree, which Augustus T. Dowd first identified as a Sierra redwood in 1852, is one of the large sequoia trees in Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Visitors can explore trails and marvel at these ancient trees.
Are there opportunities for outdoor recreation in Calaveras County?
Yes, Calaveras County offers various outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, fishing, and boating. The Stanislaus River and New Melones Lake provide opportunities for water-based recreation.
Is there a connection between Mark Twain and Calaveras County?
Yes, Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) gained fame after writing “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” based on a story he heard while living in Angels Camp. The story helped launch his literary career.
- Cities, Towns, And Villages in Los Angeles, California
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Kern County, California
- Neighborhoods in San Francisco, California
- Cities, Towns And Villages in Alameda County, California
- Cities, Towns And Villages in Modoc County, California
- Full List of All Counties In California
- States in the USA
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Del Norte County, California
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Amador County, California
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Alpine County, California