HomeSportsFootballLiverpool Star, Keita Safe After Guinea Coup

Liverpool Star, Keita Safe After Guinea Coup

There was serious turmoil during the FIFA international break in Guinea. This led to the suspension of their world cup qualifying match.

Soldiers went live on Guinea’s national TV and proclaimed to have set a new government. The fate of the civilian President Alpha Conde was on unclear at this point.

Reports available to AnField had that Naby Keita was safe and well as the club put up meassures to evacuate him from Guinea following an attempted military coup in the country.


Keita, 26, was on international commitment to his home country in a World Cup qualifier against Morocco when the military incident took place.

Read also: UEFA Champions League: Joe Cole Tags Lukaku A ‘Killer’

However, the tie was suspended after serious gun fire lasted heavily for hours close to the presidential lodge. With actions of coup going on in the capital Conakry.

Liverpool through their spokesman reported that the club was in steady contact with Keita.

The spokeman added in a statement to the PA news agency: “We have had regular communication via his national team management.”

The club was calm with the state of their player as he was safe and was properly taken care of. Clearly, the incidence was spreading and the club observed regular communication with the important authorities as the kept striving to evacuate Naby back to Liverpool in a timely and secured way.

The Morocco national team were accompanied to the airport and they departed the country through embassy-level negotiations.

Reporting to French media agency L’Equipe, Head coach Vahid Halilhodzic, said that he could heard gunfire nearly for a whole day as squad members and staff were processing their departure safely out of the country.

Immediately the plane landed in the capital of Morocco, Rabat, PSG fullback Achraf Hakimi took to his twitter handle words of appreciation: “Thank you all for the messages and the support, it has been a very intense day but thank God we are safe and sound in Morocco.”

Moroccan players uploaded videos of the squad and staff being in a happy mood and singing their national anthem as their flight left Guinea.


- Advertisment -

Most Popular