Laos is divided into 17 provinces and one prefecture. Here is a list of all the provinces and the prefecture in Laos:
Provinces and the Prefecture in Laos
- Luang Namtha
- Luang Prabang
- Vientiane Province
- Vientiane Prefecture (Capital)
- Xieng Khouang
Quick Facts about Laos
- Location: Laos is a landlocked country in Southeast Asia, bordered by Myanmar, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand.
- Capital: Vientiane
- Official Language: Lao
- Population: Approximately 7.3 million (2022)
- Area: Laos covers an area of about 236,800 square kilometers (91,428 square miles).
- Geography: Laos is known for its mountainous terrain, including the Annamite Range, and the Mekong River that flows through the country.
- Government: Laos is a one-party socialist republic.
- Currency: Lao Kip (LAK)
- Notable Places: Laos is known for Luang Prabang, Vat Phou, and the Plain of Jars.
- Official Website: https://www.laogov.gov.la/
What is the Plain of Jars?
The Plain of Jars is a mysterious archaeological site with thousands of ancient stone jars scattered across the landscape. The purpose of these jars is not fully understood.
Is Laos a popular tourist destination?
Yes, Laos attracts tourists with its natural beauty, historic sites, and a tranquil atmosphere. Luang Prabang, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is particularly famous.
What is the ethnic makeup of Laos?
Laos is home to several ethnic groups, with the Lao Loum (lowland Lao) being the majority. Other major groups include the Lao Theung (upland Lao) and Lao Soung (hill tribe).
What is the cuisine like in Laos?
Lao cuisine is diverse, featuring sticky rice, fresh herbs, and flavors influenced by neighboring countries. Popular dishes include larb, papaya salad, and sticky rice desserts.