Have you ever needed to locate a Facebook buddy or acquaintance only based on their name and location?
In this article, I’ll show you how to search Facebook for people based on their hometown and, hopefully, locate them.
Finding someone on Facebook isn’t always as straightforward as you might think, but if you know where to look and how to conduct your search, you’ll have a much better chance of succeeding. You might be able to hunt down a long-lost family, an old friend, or a former customer if you know how to use Facebook’s search feature efficiently.
Now I’ll show you how to search for people by city, first name, and city; perhaps, after reading this article, you’ll be able to find everyone you need.
How to Use Facebook to Locate People Based on Their Location A person’s city is one of the most useful pieces of information for locating them on Facebook or the Internet in general. Because the majority of Facebook users make their current city publicly available, even people who aren’t friends with them can see where they live. Keep in mind that if someone hasn’t made their city information available, you won’t be able to identify them using city criteria in your searches.
Let’s have a look at how we can locate someone on Facebook based on their location
- Log in to your Facebook account
It’s worth noting that you can’t search for someone on Facebook unless you’re logged in. You can still use search engines to find people on Facebook if you don’t have a Facebook account, but it won’t be as effective as searching within Facebook.
- Go to the profile page for your account. Simply click the link in the top menu with your avatar and first name to go to your profile page.
- Go to the Friends section of your profile. On the left sidebar, you’ll find a link to your Friends page.
- Go to the “Find Friends” section of the website. A link to the Find Friends page can be found in the top right corner of the Friends section.
By clicking this link, you can go straight to the Find Friends page:
A list of any friend requests you’ve received appears on the left side of the Find Friends menu. Add Personal Contacts is located on the right side, and Search for Friends is located beneath it.
The Name, Hometown, and Current City criteria in the Search for Friends area might help you narrow down your search.
- In the Current City column, type the city where you want to find people. In my instance, I arrived in Los Angeles. A list of cities will appear as you type in the city name; simply select the one you want.
The search will begin when you enter a city, and a list of random persons will appear on the left side. There are presently 17 names on the list. You can input a name and then a city to find people with that name who live in that city if you’re looking for them. Due to privacy considerations, I am not showing the displayed results here.
I’m not sure how people who live in the city you entered are returned (e.g. friends of friends, etc. ), but this is one of the ways to search Facebook for people by city. Let’s take a different strategy and look for people by their (first) names and hometowns.
How to Find People on Facebook Based on Their First Name and Location
As previously stated, you can utilize the form on the Find Friends page to search for people on Facebook by city and name. If you still can’t find the individual you’re looking for using that method, try the following:
- Log in to your Facebook account first.
- In the upper left corner, look for the Search Facebook box.
- Assume you’re in Los Angeles looking for John Doe. Click the search button after typing the following into the search window.
- Los Angeles residents with the surname “John Doe”
Replace the person’s name and city in your search, obviously. If there are several cities with the same name, restrict your search by using the name of the state in the query:
People with the surname “John Doe” who live in Los Angeles, California
As you can see, the search results will include a number of persons named John Doe who live in Los Angeles. If you want, you can just use your first name and the city. Click the Get more button at the bottom of the People search area to get more results.
For example, the following search query locates people named Steve who previously resided in New York:
In New York, people with the surname “Steve” are known as “Steves.”
Source: Editorial Times