WhatsApp dark mode for desktop is one of the most practical upgrades that came to the popular messaging platform this month. As such, you might be wondering how to try it out for yourself.
Whether desktop is your preferred venue for WhatsApp, or you use WhatsApp for desktop when you can’t check your smartphone in a pinch, you can start using dark mode whenever you’re online.
In addition to dark mode for desktop, the most recent WhatsApp update introduced animated stickers and QR codes for contacts. UI improvements for group video calls and status support for KaiOS users are welcome additions, too.
Before now, you could already use WhatsApp dark mode for your mobile device. Although there were a few workarounds and third-party plugins to enable a version of dark mode for desktop, this is the first time WhatsApp itself is offering the easy-on-the-eyes option to web users.
WhatsApp dark mode for desktop is worth enabling, especially if you’re logging into the website often. Not only is it softer on your eyes, but it also saves on your device’s battery if it uses an OLED screen. Plus, it looks pretty slick.
Here’s how to get dark mode for whatsapp.
How to get WhatsApp Dark Mode
1. Go to APK Mirror
First, click here. This will take you to APK Mirror, a repository site that holds copies of Android installation packages. Of course, be aware that 1) this is a beta, and 2) this is not hosted in the Google Play Store so proceed at your own risk.
2. Download the WhatsApp Beta.
That means you are in the right place. Scroll down till you see this and then click on the button that says “Download APK” (the orange arrows point at it).
3. Open the APK
Once it’s done, the browser will probably ask you if you want to open the APK. Click YES or Open, whatever the button says. If it doesn’t ask you, just go to your downloads folder in your Android file browser app. You will find the APK there, click on it to open.
4. Install WhatsApp beta with Dark Mode
Then Android will ask you if you want to install the APK. Again, answer yes.
5. Change to the WhatsApp Dark Mode theme
You are done! Go to WhatsApp, access the Settings and set it to Dark Mode — or to automatically change to dark mode according to your Battery Saver settings if that’s your cup of tea.
The good news is that, since this is the real beta package from WhatsApp, once the final version hits the Google Play Store, WhatsApp will be updated normally.
Here’s how to turn on WhatsApp dark mode for desktop right now. And for more tips and tricks, check out our complete guide on how to use WhatsApp.
How to turn on WhatsApp dark mode for desktop
1. Open https://web.whatsapp.com/ and make sure you’re signed in to your account.
2. Click the three dots icon (⋮) above your chat history.
3. Click ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
4. Select ‘Theme’ from the settings menu beneath your profile.
5. Toggle on ‘Dark’ from the theme pop-out menu to turn on WhatsApp dark mode for desktop.
As a bonus, here’s how to turn on dark mode for mobile;
- Open WhatsApp, then tap More options > Settings > Chats > Theme.
- Select from the following options:
- Dark: Turn dark mode on.
- Light: Turn dark mode off.
- System default: Enable WhatsApp dark mode to match your device settings. Go to device Settings > Display > turn Dark theme on or off.