Akwa Ibom people should have more than a passing interest at latest developments unfolding in Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District since Senator Chris Ekpenyong was elected to represent the District in the National Assembly.
Senator Ekpenyong who emerged under the platform of People’s Democratic Party (PDP) came with a lofty vision of reconnecting the people of Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District to the center. Today, the journey is smooth and there are evidences on ground to show that he has displayed his intellectual prowess to bring dividends of democracy back to the common men at the grassroots.
In his two years anniversary, the journey so far can be analysed as follow:
In the exercise of his law making functions, he has sponsored numerous motions which include:
Motions on the:
Deplorable conditions of Ikot Ekpene-Umuahia and Aba-Ikot Ekpene highways linking Akwa Ibom and Abia State.
The urgent need to revive the moribund paper mills in Nigeria.
The failing Standard of Technical/Vocational Education in Nigeria amongst others.
He has also co-sponsored numerous motions and bills which include:
The need to install computerized oil facilities/ management gadgets for Nigerian Crude oil Business.
The need to ensure immediate revival of Brass LNG project in Brass Island.
The need to ensure immediate commencement of oil and Gas Research Centre and Museum, Oloibiri.
The need to monitor the Nigerian’s flare commercialisation programme towards ending Gas flaring by 2020.
Bill for an Act for the Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal of sexual harassment of students in Tertiary Educational Institutions and for matters connected therewith.
Bill for an Act to Amend the Allocation of Revenue (Federation Account) Act and for other Related Matters.
Bill to amend the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (Establishment) Act.
He has two bills pending to his credit and numerous motions.
Sen. Ekpenyong is the vice chairman, Senate Committee on water Resources and a member of 8 other Committees in the senate;
Committee on Establishment and Public Service
Committee on Industries
Committee on Petroleum Downstream
Committee on Senate services
Committee on Army
Committee on Local Content
Committee on Culture and Tourism
Committee on Poverty Alleviation and Social Investment Program.
He is very active in these committees and has participated in several oversight functions in these committees.
1. He has secured job employment for 33 constituents in both Federal and State Civil Service.
2. He has awarded Scholarship to Students in Tertiary Institutions within and outside the state .
3. Not less than 150 of his supporters are on his payroll for monthly allowance.
4. 600 constituents have been trained and empowered on poultry and fish farming with a starter pack.
5. 359 constituents have benefited from the Covid-19 palliatives, each with a cash support ranging from N10,000 to N200,000
6. Over 200 persons were trained on transportation, fashion and design, and sewing machines, tricycles, certificates and startup funds were provided for them accordingly, to commence business immediately
Numerous developmental projects across the senatorial District, some of which includes the construction/ provision of Boreholes and Overhead Tanks in Ukana Akpautong, Ukana Ikot Ntuen, Ukana Odoro Ikot, Okon Ikot Essien, Ukana Ikot Offongetor, all in Essien udim LGA amongst others.
ONGOING PROJECTS FACILITATED HIM
8. Construction of Nto-Ekpe Atan Ibong roads in Obot Akara local government Area;
9. Construction of Ikot Etukudoh road in Abak Local Government Area;
10. Construction of Nkor road in Obot Akara Local Government Area;
11. Construction of Skill Acquisition Center in Ikor Udofia, Ini Local Government Area;
12. Construction of Skill Acquisition Center in Bakana, Ika Local Government Area.
For now, there is political stability and internal security in Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District courtesy of his charismatic and visionary leadership garnered over the years from various political offices which he occupied. There is high reflection of political inclusion and fairness in the appointments of his personal assistants/aides. At least his appointment has cut across the three Federal Constituencies making up the Senatorial District with a fair consideration for the women.
Within the last 2 years, Senator Chris has practically changed the narrative of representation in Akwa Ibom North West by giving the people a new face of life. His representation in the 9th Senate is a step in a right direction to restore the lost glory of the District at the appointed time.