Merced County, located in California’s Central Valley, is known for its agricultural heritage and proximity to Yosemite National Park. Here is a list of cities, towns, and villages in Merced County:
- Dos Palos
- Los Banos (largest city)
- Merced (County Seat)
- Le Grand
- Santa Nella
- South Dos Palos
Villages in Merced County
- Merced Falls
- Santa Rita Park
- The Grove
Quick Facts about Merced County, California
- County Seat: Merced
- Largest City: Los Banos
- Date Founded: April 19, 1855
- Total Land Mass: Approximately 1,979 square miles
- Population: Approximately 290,000 (as of 2022)
- Notable People: Merced County has been home to various individuals, and its notable residents include actress Harriet Nelson and astronaut Jose Hernandez.
- Notable Places: University of California, Merced, Castle Air Museum, Lake Yosemite, Merced National Wildlife Refuge
- Economy: Agriculture is a key economic driver, with crops like almonds, milk, and poultry being significant. The county is also home to the University of California, Merced.
- History: Originally inhabited by Native American tribes, Merced County’s history includes Spanish colonization and later became an agricultural hub, particularly with the arrival of the railroad.
- National Protected Area: Merced National Wildlife Refuge
- Official Website: https://www.co.merced.ca.us/
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Merced County
Is Merced County close to Yosemite National Park?
Yes, Merced County is close to Yosemite National Park. The county serves as a gateway to the park, and visitors often stay in Merced or nearby towns before exploring Yosemite’s natural wonders.
What is the role of agriculture in Merced County’s economy?
Agriculture plays a vital role in Merced County’s economy. The region is known for producing a variety of crops, including almonds, tomatoes, dairy products, and poultry. The fertile soils of the Central Valley contribute to the county’s agricultural productivity.
Does Merced County have educational institutions?
Yes, Merced County is home to the University of California, Merced, which is a research university and the tenth campus of the University of California system. The university has become a significant part of the county’s educational and cultural landscape.
- Cities, Towns And Villages in Los Angeles, California
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Kern County, California
- Neighborhoods in San Francisco, California
- Cities, Towns And Villages in Alameda County, California
- Cities, Towns And Villages in Modoc County, California
- Full List of All Counties In California
- States in the USA
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Del Norte County, California
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Amador County, California
- Cities, Towns and Villages in Alpine County, California